Saturday, February 25, 2012

Write His Word in Your Heart

I believe Spiritual living has its foundation in many elements, but perhaps the most absolutely fundamental and essential element I have found is in reading the Word of God.  Why would this be the foundation?  Well, because it is God's very reference book to us that guides every other aspect of our living.

If I want to know how to pray, I can look in God's Word, and see how Jesus taught us to pray.
If I want to know how to live, I see it as an instruction guide to godly living.

But perhaps the most supernatural and truly splendid "relevance" of the Bible, is that God speaks to us through his written Word.  And, not just when we're reading it!

Sure, there is that unexplained phenomenon that many Christians declare:  "I can read the exact same verse a million times, and get something different out of it every single time."  That's awesome.  But, that's not the only way God uses his written Word to speak to us.

I have never read any other book in all of my days, where the very Words jump off of the page and into my heart and mind, during the middle of a prayer, in which I'm begging God to "speak to me."  And yet, now is my time of confession:  I don't spend a lot of time and energy trying to memorize Scripture.  Yet, it just sticks somehow.  And, comes back at the most appropriate and opportuned time.  That, I feel, is the Lord speaking to me, through His Written Word.

If I'm in a time of need and wanting to hear from God, I don't ever have the words from some random novel, or even a spiritual growth book pop into my mind.  No.  I can't remember books, I can't remember jokes, and I can't even remember movies.  In fact, my husband often torments me over the fact that he can buy me a movie that I've watched 3 times, and I'll get excited because it's always like the first time for me!  I don't know why my brain operates like that, but it does.

And, yet, when I pray and truly listen for God, the very written words from the Book of Life pop into my brain, and suddenly I realize, this is God....speaking to my heart.

Here's my most recent example.  I have had it pressed upon my heart to pray over a little boy I recently met, who has a traumatic brain injury due to a car accident.  I mean, I haven't been able to get this kid out of my mind. I've prayed for him privately, thought about him, and even dreamed about praying healing over his little body.

So, don't you know that randomly this week, I had an opportunity to approach his mother about the possibility of praying over this child.  I was SO nervous, not knowing their faith or how such a random request would be received, so I started praying, "God, I am so nervous about this, but I know you have called me to do this, because I haven't been able to get this precious boy out of my mind!  Pleeeeease give me a spirit of boldness and not timidity, one of bravery, and not fear."  And, just as I was in the middle of praying and beseeching the Father for this courage, I had the following truth pop into my head, "Hey, hush!  Quit begging!  I have given you a spirit of boldness and not of timidity!  No need to ask for it, it is there.  Just accept it, and live in it!!  I am in you!!"

Duh.  
"For the Spirit God gave us does not make us timid, but gives us power, love, and self-discipline." 2 Timothy 1:7

So, when you're praying, and longing to hear from God, just beware that He speaks to you best through the very Word he has breathed, and has written on your heart.  Get into that Word, and take advantage of this incomprehensible opportunity to draw near to God, and stand amazed as he brings those words to mind, in His perfect way and His perfect timing, that only He, in his omnipotent, omniscient, and omnipresent  nature, is able.

"Fix these words of mine in your hearts and minds..."
Deuteronomy 11:18

No comments:

Post a Comment