Tuesday, December 27, 2011

Serenity, Courage, and Wisdom in the New Year

New Year’s Resolution 2012 –

God grant me the SERENITY to accept the things I cannot change,
COURAGE to change the things I can,
And WISDOM to know the difference.

I made a resolution to give up New Year’s Resolutions a few years ago, but I’m giving up that resolution.  It’s only fitting, since it goes with the age-old theory that you can never keep a New Year’s Resolution, so why bother with them, right?

But, I say, what’s wrong with TRYING to better yourself?  It’s a great thing….this new YEAR, a new chance to “get it right.”  Of course, we’ll never reach perfection, but if we don’t keep setting new goals, and aiming to better ourselves, then we may as well give up and cash in our chips on life altogether.

So, I’m making a FEW resolutions this year.  Or, setting some goals, anyhow.  That’s what a resolution is to me:  An aim to accomplish a thing or 2 within the next year.  It doesn’t mean, “I’m going to stop doing [this] cold turkey, or start doing [that] perfectly and consistently, every day, starting January 1.”  No, it means picking some things I want to do differently in my life; finding those things over which I have control, and exerting control over them to become a better person and have a better life.

We can all learn a lot from the Serenity Prayer.  It’s a great framework for New Year’s Resolutions.  The key is to give it up to God, though.  It’s not all about your OWN strength and willpower, but surrendering your struggles to God, and inviting Him to reveal the things you can and need to change.  With that being said, here’s to a New Year, and an abundance of blessings in 2012!

1)    SERENITY:
a.    I aim to spend less time dwelling on the things that frustrate me, over which I have absolutely ZERO control.  This means I have to accept the fact that sometimes, life doesn’t feel “just,” and that’s okay.  I have to forgive those whom I feel treat me or my kids unfairly, and I must refuse to let uncontrollable circumstances control my emotions. 
b.    I have to understand that I cannot make everyone happy, and not everyone in this life is going to love me and want to spend as much time with me as I’d like to spend with them. 
c.    I’m giving up the need to please and the need for acceptance.  The fact of the matter is that I have such a blessed life, and I have some amazing and special people in my life, and I need to spend time cultivating the relationships that are on fertile soil, rather than feeling jealous, longing to cultivate relationships on rocky ground. 
d.    Fulfillment of THIS resolution will come with so much FREEDOM and JOY!
2)    COURAGE:  
a.    I aim to be a better mother: to put my phone & computer away, until my babies are fast asleep.  To play hard, and enjoy the chance to be kid again, myself, every time my kids invite me into their world of make-believe. 
b.    I aim to continue my journey toward good health: 
                                          i.    More running.  I ran 3 races last year, and I haven’t run since the Turkey Trot, over a month ago.  I’d like to say, “I’m going to run a half-marathon next year,” but I’d rather keep it more realistic, and say, “I’m going to run more races next year than I did in 2011, and I’m going to try my hand (or, feet, rather) at a 10K, and see where I go from there.” 
                                        ii.    I’m going to get back into the gym consistently. I just need to get back into the habit of packing a gym bag and heading straight there after work.
                                       iii.    I’m going to drink more water (this one shouldn’t be too hard, since I drink about 2 cups of water per day, on average).
                                       iv.    I’m going to give up grains, the best I can, for at least long enough to see if it has a positive impact on my health, which means….
                                        v.    I’m going to cook more! (I’m already way better about this than I was a year ago…so see?  PROGRESS is PROGRESS!!)
c.    I’m going to foster my gifts and talents:
                                          i.    I’m going to read more and I’m going to write more.
d.    I’m going to read through my entire Bible this year.
e.    I’m going to research avenues in which I can contribute to my community without giving up the precious already limited time I have with my kids.
3)    WISDOM:
a.    I’m going to spend more time in prayer and meditation, seeking God’s face, and discernment, rather than trying to figure it out all on my own.

Happy New Year!  Many Blessings to you and yours as you embark on this amazing opportunity we get to try, once again, to get it all right!!

No comments:

Post a Comment