Sunday, December 11, 2011

Romans 8:28 - Putting it into Practice

"And we know that in all things God works for the good of those who love him, who have been called according to His purpose." Romans 8:28


So, every time I pray to God, I feel this pressing call to write. What to write? I don't know. Maybe music, maybe poetry. For now, I guess a blog. I've been told I have a gift, and here I am, nearly 34-years-old, and I seem to be letting it go to waste.

But, then, this crazy thing happens. My body starts rebelling on me. Sometimes my muscles go all wacky, and I even have difficulty finding the right words sometimes. For those who know me well, you know that is just NOT typical of me. Who knows what is causing this! Hopefully, there will be an answer soon. But, the bottom line is that there is a lesson to be learned here. God has purposed my life with a calling. I feel a strong calling to write. To use my gifts to give glory to Him. But, He isn't giving me forever to get it together and answer that call. For me, I've had this fortunate awakening...to realize that I can't take my gifts for granted. This crazy mysterious phenomenon going on in my body may be totally benign and go away as quickly as it came, or it may be progressive. It may be caused by nothing, or it may be caused by something serious. I may continue to have a progression in random muscle movements that eventually prevent me from being able to sit and type at a computer or find that “just right” way to express a thought that some others are unable to articulate with such ease. Who knows at this point! What I DO know, is that I have to write. Because God has told me to....over and OVER again! Who knows where it will take me, or what purpose it will serve, but I guess it's time to do what I'm told!! Here's to Obedience.

The bottom line, and painful (or not so painful?) truth is that we are not promised tomorrow. I'm coming to terms with that, in a good way - in a way that has lit a fire under my behind. What has God called you to do? What are your gifts? Are you going to use them? If not, then why do you think you have them? In all reality, God can yank them away as quickly as He imparted them. Have you put God's calling to your life on the back-burner? Procrastinated? Doubted yourself? The enemy loves to distract us and cast doubt on what God has called us to do to fulfill HIS purpose. We are not our own. Our bodies are TEMPLES of the Lord. One day, we will no longer reside in this body, and our time on earth will be done. For some, it may come after a long, full life. For others, it may proceed a lengthy illness, and for some, it may come suddenly and without warning: a car accident, stroke, or cardiac event. For some it will come at too early an age for society to accept, and for others, like my great-grandmother, who lived past the age of 100, some may begin to wonder if “God forgot about them.” It's easy to get caught up in that comfortable feeling of immortality. That place where there's no urgency, no pressing desire to answer the Call. But, the Call is upon us to further His kingdom. It's why we're here. So, I suppose I'll write. Seems simple enough. What will you do?

No comments:

Post a Comment